There are more variations of this drink than there are grains of sugar in it, but here is my favorite:
Rye Old Fashioned
- 2 oz Rye whiskey – I use Rittenhouse Bottled-in-Bond.
- 1/4 oz simple syrup
- 3 dashes of orange bitters
- 1 homemade maraschino cherry
- 1 orange peel
- 1 large ice cube (I use this mold and this kit.)
Combine the simple syrup, bitters, and rye in a rocks glass and stir. Add the ice cube and garnish with an orange peel and a homemade maraschino cherry.
- You can get creative with the sugar source. Sugar cubes, Demerara, maple syrup, etc.
- Try different flavors of bitters. I almost always use orange because I always have it on hand, but pick any flavor you’d like.
- You an use pretty much any liquor. 2oz of liquor + 1 cube of sugar + bitters = an Old Fashioned. Some kinds of liquor are more suited to this combo than others, which is why we almost always use some sort of whiskey.