It is easy to forget about your wooden/bamboo cutting boards, but you need to keep them up if you want them to last. If you don’t, they will dry out, crack, and absorb unwanted food smells. Here is what you need to do.
- Get some food-grade mineral oil. This great 16oz bottle is under $10.
- Wash your wooden/bamboo cutting boards with a little bit of soap, rinse them with hot water, and stand them up to dry.
- Apply the mineral oil to the cutting board and rub in with a paper towel in the direction of the grain.
- Wipe off excess oil and prop them up to absorb/dry overnight. Depending on counter space, sometimes I stand them up, and sometimes I prop them up like the photo below. If I prop them like this, I only do one side of the big board on the bottom at a time.
- Repeat this at least once a month.